Re: GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: GSoC: feedback on public application and other inquiries
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 10:41:23 +0900

On 2/27/20 9:58 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On 2/27/20 7:29 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > My name is Abdallah Elshamy and I am looking forward to contribute in
> > octave.
> >
> > I started by building octave. Then, To show my enthusiasm ; I submitted
> > a batch (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?50247) and I am still
> > waiting for response.
> >
> > Then I followed GSoC wiki page instructions and started filling my
> > public application and I would like to know if there is anything that
> > needs to be illustrated more and if I missed anything.
> > This is my public application:
> > https://wiki.octave.org/User:Abdallah_Elshamy
> >
> > Also, I have another question:
> > Regarding the project I plan to work on,
> > Is it better to discuss the details of my proposal (deliverables,time
> > line, milestone .. etc) here on the maintainers mailing list or it is
> > better to contact the mentor of the project  privately?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Abdallah
>

> I'll let others comment on the rest, but is that the correct bug link?
> that seems to go to one of my patches.

The correct bug link should be "Missing Matlab functions: startsWith and
endsWith" [1].  Your patch [2] looks good by quick review, be patient
until someone finds more time to fully review and include your work.
Your patch submission is much more important for GSoC selection than
it's actual inclusion into Octave core that should not be rushed.

Can you describe in your public application page [3] the topic "Your
task" from the template [4].  Don't be shy communicating publicly with
us.  If your schedule is too ambitious or easy, we'll tell you.  But
first you should talk about your project to give us an insight into your
plans.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57041