Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:24:04 +0200

Am 15. Juli 2020 um 14:39 Uhr schrieb "John W. Eaton":
> On 7/15/20 6:31 AM, Markus Mützel wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what to ask them to do.
> >>
> >> I have many forwards for each list on the server (not sure that all are
> >> needed, but I added them to be complete since all of these are used by
> >> mailmain):
> >>
> >>     octave-maintainers@octave.org  octave-maintainers@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-admin@octave.org  octave-maintainers-admin@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-bounces@octave.org
> >> octave-maintainers-bounces@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-confirm@octave.org
> >> octave-maintainers-confirm@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-join@octave.org  octave-maintainers-join@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-leave@octave.org  octave-maintainers-leave@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-owner@octave.org  octave-maintainers-owner@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-request@octave.org
> >> octave-maintainers-request@gnu.org
> >>     octave-maintainers-subscribe@octave.org
> >> octave-maintainers-subscribe@gnu.org
> >
> > To be honest, I thought that the mail server on octave.org was managed by
> > dreamhost. But from what you've written, I gather that you manage mailman
> > on that server yourself?
>
> The mailman mailing list manager runs on a gnu.org system.  There is
> also an smtp mail server running on dreamhost that handles the mail for
> the octave.org domain.  It forwards the mail sent to @octave.org
> addresses that are used for the mailing lists (like those shown above)
> to the @gnu.org addresses where mailmain processes the list mail.
>
> > If that isn't possible, maybe we could also ask gnu.org to whitelist the IP
> > of the mailserver on octave.org.
>
> I will ask about that.

Whitelisting the dreamhost mail server is probably only the second best
solution.
That would mean that gnu.org would need to accept messages from their server
independent on the sender domain. That could lead to an increased amount of
spam on the mailing list if others are using the dreamhost servers to send or
re-route their spam.
Imho, the best solution would still be if the mailserver that does the
forwarding would apply SRS when forwarding the mails:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

But I'm still not sure how the dreamhost product works:
Do they just provide the hardware and you can run any server software with any
configuration you would like?
Or do they provide (among other things) an email server for which you just
entered the forwards in some kind of web form?
Or is it still something different?

Markus