Re: How to cherry-pick changes in gnulib in the future

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: How to cherry-pick changes in gnulib in the future
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 22:47:27 +0900

On 9/21/20 10:26 PM, Markus Mützel wrote:> I updated the `HACKING.md`
file to take the deleted gnulib subrepository into account:
> https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ecb8ffc51cfa
>
> In the earlier version I read that the gnulib subrepository was used
in the past to cherry-pick necessary changes when we didn't want to do a
full update for a point release.
> Is there still a process how this could be done now that we use the
`bootstrap` script to `git update` to a set revision?

> Markus

I remember a post by jwe [1] where he said that this happened only once
in years that Octave had to make a specific change to the gnulib repo.

The gnulib seems matured and actively developed.  Thus I think the
process in the future will be (if there ever is a problem specific to
Octave) to fix it upstream and update to that latest version of the
gnulib after the upstream fix.

Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57044#comment11