openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users

From: Klaus Steden
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:28:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Kevin Wheatley wrote:

Florian Kainz wrote:
The Academy's Image Interchange Framework has talked about adopting or defining an image sequence container at some point, but so far any plans are rather vague. The committee is currently focusing on some thorny color management issues. Container files have not been a high priority, at least in part because the committee members are using workflows based on one file per frame, and those tend to work well in practice.

container files along the lines of MXF for interoperability are evil...

Personally I've got a container file format I like ... its called a directory :-)

If you need to wrap them into a container to give you a single file, I suggest tar/cpio or similar don't invent anything beyond using the existing ones.

Sadly true, and I'd be the last to disagree with you, but for our media environment, tracking project/customer/workorder/operator/etc. from site to site (as our media moves around the planet) is a major technical and procedural challenge that formats like cpio and tar don't effectively address (especially when dealing with a large and well-designed site shipping media to a small and ad-hoc site, or vice-versa).

Evil as they may be, they nonetheless exist for a reason; I'm hoping that SMPTE and the Academy can put together something open, competent, comprehensive, and most importantly, OS and platform agnostic.

Yeah, it's shooting for the moon, but a man can dream, can't he?

Klaus