openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] License question

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] License question
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:03:04 -0700

Hi Mario,

as Drew Hess says, the BSD license has been used successfully
for a number of projects, and it is probably an appropriate
choice.

However, your email address suggests that you live in Germany,
and I should point out that the BSD license was crafted in the
United States, according to U.S. law.  The BSD license disclaims
all warranties and liabilities; this may not be valid in Germany.

If you are concerned about consequences such as the possibility
of someone alleging that your code infringes on patents or
copyright, or someone claiming that your software injured someone
or otherwise caused harm, you may want to consult a lawyer,
preferrably one with open-source software experience.

Florian

Mario Fichtenmayer wrote:
hello,

Because i needed exr-support for some java-projects i decided to write an exr-library for java. I finished the reading part and i hope i can release the writing part in the next days.
What do i have to consider when i publish it as open source?
Does it suffice to use the BSD-license like the original openexr-library?
What else do i have to do?
Who/what is to be mentioned?

give my regards
Mario Fichtenmayer