openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] License question

From: Mario Fichtenmayer
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] License question
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:32:50 +0200

Hi Drew and Florian,

thank you for your fast answers.
I'm relieved that there is no problem with ILM.
That was my main concern.
Unfortunately i'm a poor german student and can't afford a lawyer :-/
Since i reuse a lot of the original C-Code (especially in the context of the B44-Compression)
it's very important for me not to get in trouble with ILM.

The problem with european/german laws is another one,
because nobody knows which bizarre ideas people might have when they can afford a lawyer *g*

Since the most open source projects in germany use the GPL / LGPL (just my impression) i hope it wouldn't make a difference if i use the GPL either, instead of BSD. I chose the BSD-license because of the original but when i think of the non-US-lawyers
i start to feel a little bit uncomfortable.

Mario

PS
sorry that i forgot to mention where i live, it absolutely clear that this is important for this question. Next thing i spend money for will be an english-refresh-course instead of a lawyer ;-)

Florian Kainz schrieb:

Hi Mario,

as Drew Hess says, the BSD license has been used successfully
for a number of projects, and it is probably an appropriate
choice.

However, your email address suggests that you live in Germany,
and I should point out that the BSD license was crafted in the
United States, according to U.S. law.  The BSD license disclaims
all warranties and liabilities; this may not be valid in Germany.

If you are concerned about consequences such as the possibility
of someone alleging that your code infringes on patents or
copyright, or someone claiming that your software injured someone
or otherwise caused harm, you may want to consult a lawyer,
preferrably one with open-source software experience.

Florian