oroborus-user

Re: [Oroborus-user] Oroborus cannot maximize or fullscreen Firefox?

From: Ferran Jorba
Subject: Re: [Oroborus-user] Oroborus cannot maximize or fullscreen Firefox?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:59:32 +0200

Stefan,

[...]
Yup, I know this bug, but I have yet to find out why this doesn't work. :(

ATM I've no clue *why* it doesn't work.

I don't know if this can help you: at home, in my lowly 166 with Debian
Woody, XFree 4.1, kernel 2.2.17 and a backport of current Oroborus it
*does* work fine (at least it was working perfectly yesterday).  What I
cannot remember right now is which version of Fire(bird|fox) do I have,
nor wether it came from Mozilla.org or backports.org.

I have just installed the original from a Mozilla.org mirror, to try to
isolate it form a Debian specific (libraries) issue, given my above
experience, but the problem remains.  When I try (last shot?) to
install a current firefox (0.9.3) from backports.org stable (woody)
into Sarge, I get:

 $ apt-get -t stable install mozilla-firefox
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
   libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
 Suggested packages:
   latex-xft-fonts
 Recommended packages:
   xprt-xprintorg
   libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 mozilla-firefox
 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
 Need to get 9239kB of archives.
 After unpacking 28.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
 Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

This libstdc library for glib2.2 scares me a little bit.  Can you
advice me what could happen if I say Y?  Harmles?  Smoke and fire?

Can anyone confirm it to me please?  Any workaround?  I would *love*
to deploy Oroborus for my next generation kiosks (due next week), but
this bug (whether in Firefox or Oroborus) may make me look for some
other alternative ;-(

I've been googling and watching screenshots the whole morning, seen the
strangest window managers, endless dependencies when debian-packaged, and
none of them have convinced me so far (except, maybe, fvwm, that I already
have in use).  I *really* like oroborus for kiosk (and the look of the
defold theme).  So I might go with oroborus even if the maximize button
doesn't work.  Sigh.

Ferran