osip-dev

SIP and Golang

From: David Sugar
Subject: SIP and Golang
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:27:56 -0400

I am curious if anyone has tried adapting osip2/eXosip2 for use with golang?

I never could find a non-proprietary pure golang sip stack that was ever completed, or even actively worked on, in years. There are proprietary go sip products and stacks, so clearly it is possible to make one, but that is a lot of work to do from scratch, and the community already has this excellent working code base.

As to why go vs C/C++, go could be nicer for simpler things for the upper layer code, where you don't need to be performance critical, and may want code simplicity and safety where your new code is at, and to leverage other parts of the go ecosystem. There is some simple ability to embed C code and headers, and call C functions directly into go when building with cgo (or gccgo), so it seem at least theoretically possible to consider this.