pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Why Pan redownload on save ?

From: James Hawtin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Why Pan redownload on save ?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:47:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Roi Dayan wrote:

> Hey,
>
> When I click on a binary file I see its downloading it and then i see first
> line of begin ...something..
> and the encoded text (or sometimes it just says attachment)
> but when I shift+s to save it unencoded to ~/News/Pan it re downloads the
> file.
>
> why it does not use the cache ? or why it re download if i didn't event chose
> to read other article
> just after i click this binary and it d/l it i shift+s and it redownload it
> before saving.
>
> Can anyone help me ?
>
> Thanks,
> Roi

I assume its that way to stop downloading of large amounts of binaries
pushing out text articles from the cache, as its of limited size. Its more
likely your want to re-read a text article than a binary!

What would be better is if it cached it however set a priority on it so
its a earily target to be pushed out the cache.

James