pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Wishlist

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Wishlist
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:12:40 +0100

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:31:42 -0400 (EDT)
gaw zay <address@hidden> wrote:

GZ> > It would be nice if there was a user-definable pipes menu. For
GZ> > example, I could define an entry "rot 13" by `tr "[a-z]" "[n-za-m]"`
GZ> > and "gpg sign" by `gpg --clearsign`.
GZ>
GZ> already have rot13 built-in. But I see the usefulness of this kinda
GZ> feature.  Although! You can use vi or whatever as you editor and do
GZ> stuff like that anyway.

The rot 13 was just intended as an example. Yes, I know that Pan already has it
on the menu. But by allowing outside agents to do the work, Pan would be much
more extensible.

Another example. Type in a file name, highlight it, then choose "attach
uuencoded" from the pipes menu and the message contains the file specified as
an attachments,

GZ> Unix is safer, don't need to advertise your exact kernel to people.
GZ> try grep -r Unix * in the pan source for a quick fix if you want to do
GZ> this btw :-)

Well, maybe the exact kernel version is a security issue, but a minor one. At
least saying "Linux" or "FreeBSD" would be good though.

GZ> not a bad idea. of course then there will be that day you want to grab
GZ> a binary and will have to recompile ;-)

Obviously you only compile out the binary features if you *really* don't need
them. For instance, my news server filters out all binary posts, so I have no
need for binary features in my news reader.

I am mulling over the idea of branching the Pan 1.0 source to create "Pan (Text
Only)" -- PANTO for short.

If you occasionally need to decode a binary there are command-line ttols for
that.

--
       Toby A Inkster, Esq. ~ http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/
           mailto:tobyink<at>goddamn.co.uk ~ gpg:0x5274FE5A

In a Belgrade hotel elevator: To move the cabin, push button for
wishing floor.  If the cabin should enter more persons, each one
should press a number of wishing floor.  Driving is then going
alphabetically by national order.