pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.91 and other things

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.91 and other things
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:30:07 -0700

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:48:08AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> On a whim, I installed gtk2 and 0.11.91 last night, thinking that I'd like
> to take a look at the new version..  Everything seems pretty enough so
> far, but I ran into all kinds of snags with the keystroke changes..
> Particularly, the "download new headers for all subscribed groups" option
> has completely disappeared?

The get-new-headers-for-subscribed-groups button seemed to me like a hack,
since I always pressed it once when I started Pan and then didn't use it
again until the next session.  So there are two alternatives in 0.11.91:

1. There's an option in Edit|Preferences|General to the download start
   automatically every time you run Pan.
2. Typing ctrl-b,ctrl-a will do the same as the old button:
   ctrl-b adds all subscribed groups to the selection, and
   ctrl-a gets new headers for the selected groups.

My guess is that 1. will fit the needs of most people who used the button.
If I'm wrong, pan-users needs to let me know. :)

> The other is that I remember there being mentioned that non-modified
> character keys can't control menu options, but there are clearly
> non-modified characters (B, D, etc) that control the menu items.

Yes, that nastiness has been fixed.  non-modified characters are so
much more pleasant...

> My other (final) complaint is that when I downgraded to .11.3 pan
> completely forgot my article count information and I had to resubscribe to
> all of my favorite groups and regrab all of their headers.... Not that
> this will be a big deal when I switch over to gtk2 for good, but it was
> mildly annoying to have to wait for my slow (read 16k/s capped) news
> connection to download headers for 2 hours.

The file formats are different to make room for group-level charset
settings and some other things.  I don't like changing file formats,
but it's often necessary.

cheers,
Charles