pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues
Date: 23 Jun 2002 12:54:35 +0200

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 11:18, Phillip Pi wrote:

> Christophe. I noticed something. I believe gtk2 package wanted me to
> upgrade libpng from v1.0.12-2 (Red Hat Linux v7.1 and v7.2) to v1.2.2-5
> (rpmfind.net) because libpng12.so.0 was missing.

Yes, since the gtk2 package is built with libpng v1.2.2

> I think the old libpng package was from Red Hat's up2date, but I don't
> really remember. Now, I have two libpng since I did an install force.
> IIRC, upgrading (rpm -Uvh) had dependencies all over the places (e.g.,
> Nautilus, kruler, eog, lisa, ktimer, gnome-core, abiword, etc.).
> However, other programs seem to still work. I guess having two libpng
> packages are fine.

You can add RPMs to your system in two modes: upgrading (-Uvh) replaces
any existing package with the new one.  Installing just puts the new
package on your system: if there's an existing one, the two sit side by
side.

In this case, there don't appear to be any clashes between the two
version, so you shouldn't have any problems.

In theory, you could also have upgraded the dependency problems to the
replacements that have been built with v1.2.2-5, but the dual install is
definitely the easier solution here. :)

> Another question, is it normal for Pan not to use my theme/custom desktop
> settings? I get the boring GNOME defaults except for my custom border.

Pan 0.12 is a gtk2 application. Gtk2 does not use the gtk1 themes at
all: you must install gtk2 themes for that. There are theme sites that
carry gt2 themes (http://themes.freshmeat.net,
http://www.sunshineinabag.co.uk/gtk2/), but I have no experience with
that. I'm far too busy helping people install gtk2 itself. :)

Regards,
Christophe