pan-users

RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat Linux 7.x boxes!
Date: 25 Jun 2002 21:24:00 +0200

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 15:22, Phillip Pi wrote:

> > > address@hidden download]$ pan
> > > pan: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol:
> > > XRenderCompositeText8
> [...]
> >    $ rpm -q --requires Xft
>
> I got:
> [...]
> libXrender.so.1

This is probably the guilty one and rpmfind tells us it's part of
XFree86.

> Ah, that's the key. I haven't upgraded XFree86: XFree86-4.0.3-5 because I
> would have upgrade my compiled Kernel. I think this is the problem?
> However, 7.2 box already has the latest kernel and XFree86. [confused]

Eh, unless I'm missing something, kernel != XFree86.  I don't see what
one has to do with the other.

The point is: the version of Xft seems to require the version of XFree86
that's on RawHide.  It is not compatible with the one you have on your
RH7.1 box (not even the RH7.2 box).

So, you could upgrade to the version of XFree86 that's in RawHide, but
the question is: do you really want to go there? You can bet you'll drag
in a few more dependencies.

> > Even better: upgrade your RH7.1 box to RH7.2 or 7.3. Since you're
> > already using RedCarpet, you can them get the gnome2 snapshot packages
> > (or rather, just the gtk2 packages) and let RedCarpet handle all the
> > dependencies for you.
>
> Isn't gnome2 still unstable? I don't want to upgrade gnome if it is still
> in beta.

Gnome2 hasn't been released yet. But gtk2 (which is in the Gnome2
channel) *is* stable. You don't have to upgrade all of gnome to use the
Gnome2 channel: you just pick out the packages you want.

Based on what we've seen so far, my advice to you:
1. roll back the changes you made over the last few days.
2. subscribe to the gnome2 channel on redhat
3. install gtk2 packages
4. install Pan
5. never look back

Regards,