pan-users

RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat Linux 7.x boxes!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

On 25 Jun 2002, Christophe Lambin wrote:

> > [...]
> > >    $ rpm -q --requires Xft
> >
> > I got:
> > [...]
> > libXrender.so.1
>
> This is probably the guilty one and rpmfind tells us it's part of
> XFree86.

Hmmm!

> > Ah, that's the key. I haven't upgraded XFree86: XFree86-4.0.3-5 because I
> > would have upgrade my compiled Kernel. I think this is the problem?
> > However, 7.2 box already has the latest kernel and XFree86. [confused]
>
> Eh, unless I'm missing something, kernel != XFree86.  I don't see what
> one has to do with the other.

That is what 7.1's Ximian red-carpet and Red Hat's up2date said: In order
to upgrade XFree86, I need to have a newer version of Kernel. I can paste
the details for you when I go home. Please let me know if you do.

> The point is: the version of Xft seems to require the version of XFree86
> that's on RawHide.  It is not compatible with the one you have on your
> RH7.1 box (not even the RH7.2 box).
>
> So, you could upgrade to the version of XFree86 that's in RawHide, but
> the question is: do you really want to go there? You can bet you'll drag
> in a few more dependencies.

Yeah, Ximian's red-carpet and Red Hat's up2date show dependencies
between XFree86 and Kernel. I forgot why it said that.

> > > Even better: upgrade your RH7.1 box to RH7.2 or 7.3. Since you're
> > > already using RedCarpet, you can them get the gnome2 snapshot packages
> > > (or rather, just the gtk2 packages) and let RedCarpet handle all the
> > > dependencies for you.
> >
> > Isn't gnome2 still unstable? I don't want to upgrade gnome if it is still
> > in beta.
>
> Gnome2 hasn't been released yet. But gtk2 (which is in the Gnome2
> channel) *is* stable. You don't have to upgrade all of gnome to use the
> Gnome2 channel: you just pick out the packages you want.
>
> Based on what we've seen so far, my advice to you:
> 1. roll back the changes you made over the last few days.
> 2. subscribe to the gnome2 channel on redhat
> 3. install gtk2 packages
> 4. install Pan
> 5. never look back

OK. I will try this. Give me a few days. :)