pan-users

[Pan-users] Fun with 0.12.90

From: James Hawtin
Subject: [Pan-users] Fun with 0.12.90
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:33:04 +0000 (GMT)

Well I bit the bullet and finally upgraded from 0.11.90 to 0.12.90, only
had to install 7 new libraries to get it to work :-(

I like how it resumes task nice coding guys.

Sadly here is a list of bugs/things I don't like :-(

1) When upgrading from it lost 2 of my 4 news server configurations

2) After upgrading it seems to have messed my groups so to be able to
download things correctly again I had to download all headers.... (it
seemed to have thread the older multiparts wrong sometimes starting 5/43 9
/43 etc, a reload of all headers fixed it.

3) The icon for pan when iconised seems to be a load of random pixels..

4) I hate cancel being on the left and OK on the right, I keep hitting
cancel by mistake.

5) The upgrade lost my panel layout, using the perferences to change it
back did not make any changes till I restarted pan.

6) When download multiparts it says getting xx of yy it no longer tells
you want its downloading... like getting xx of yy fred.r01

7) I regularly switch between servers, its the only thing I use regularly
in the server pull down menu and its now on a side bar so it much slower
to use.

8) in the preferences for which header fields you want to show it has a
whole lot highlighted if you select one it clears all the other
ctrl-select works but they really should be toggles.

9) I am not sure I like the new the new system on the toolbar seems to be
less flexibile than the old one.

10) Not sure I like the new icons they are two "shaded" I liked the old
one cos they were more "solid" but I will live!

11) In the groups window, if I want to download all headers something I do
regularly, its now hidden in more download options, which is then a new
pop up box this makes it VERY slow to use. I can sort of see why its pop
and not a pull right, thats so the download XX new headers box can work,
but it would make more sence if the download XX headers was setable in
preferences and everything else was on a pull right. I wish infact get all
headers was infact on the main part of that menu. getting XX of headers
being hidden on a 4 click away window will mean it does not get to be used
that much :-(

12) and now my number one pet hate! I download quite a few binaries....
out of the box when i click on a completed binary now it puts up a menu of
options, which I then have to cancel so I can highlight more of them
before doing a right click so i can do things on a number of articles at
the same time. If I turn it off so it selects rather than activates. I
now have to double click to change groups or read text messages which make
the interface far more "cluncky". The Old way of working seemed much
better(Even though it it download into the cache the first article
selected) atleast there were no annoying pop ups....

I would suggest the following, if you click on a multipart it selects it,
group or text or incomplete (sometime people reply to a message and it
looks like a incomplete but isn't) it opens them as normal...
All in all the old way fair better!!!

James