pan-users

[Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:56:02 -0600

Maybe this is in the GNOME 2.0 branch, I'm using the i686 RPM for RedHat
7.3 (0.11.4).

First request:  I can't seem to find a way to turn off the automatic
quoting of a message you're replying to.

I find that most of the time, I don't want to quote the message I'm
replying to - and it's something of a pain to delete it by hand.

Ideally, there would be options similar to what's in Netscape 4.xx:

1.  Automatically quote article being replied to.
2.  Manually quote article being replied to (button on the reply dialog)
3.  "Paste as Quotation" - take the text currently in the buffer and
paste it as a quote with no attribution line.

Second request:  It would be really handy if the references field was
clickable; sometimes a parent message is in a different newsgroup and
not in the current newsgroup - you can see the reference, but not the
actual message.  It would be really nice if a click on a reference
header item could result in the message indicated in the reference being
displayed, either in the current or in a new window.

If I hadn't had to install from the RPM (I need to resolve several devel
library dependencies, since I did a fresh install on this machine of RH
7.3), I'd look to see what it would take to handle the first request;
the second requires some work from the UI side as well, and I'm somewhat
hesitant to patch code on the UI (I generally don't do UI programming).

Thanks to the development team for all of your hard work - your efforts
ARE appreciated. :-)

Jim