pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] What happened to "launch attachment" (keyboard shortcut

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] What happened to "launch attachment" (keyboard shortcut O)?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:27:44 -0400

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 23:00, Dwayne Fontenot wrote:
> > If I had to guess, though, 99% of the people who used that feature
> > were opening images in a picture viewer.  If more people ask for it,
> > there could be a configurable picture viewer just like you can now
> > configure your external editor...?
> Please put me down as requesting this feature. It's the main reason
> keeping me from using version 12.

Ditto here.  I moved my win98-with-agent using partner over to Mandrake
8.2 in the last week or two, and when I upgraded him to pan 0.12.1 so he
could use his antialiased fonts in it, launch attachments went away and he
is asking me to either hook him up with either Agent under Wine or the old
version of Pan with "the crummy fonts".  (He also doesn't like the filter
dialog since it requires more clicks, but he seems to be living with it
since that stuff was already much more complicated in Agent.)

Yeah, the inline picture viewing is nice but he likes to be able to do the
stuff you can do with a real picture viewer, e.g. view fullscreen, shrink
or scale to frame, adjust brightness/contrast and save the changed
version, etc.  He also launched mp3's on a regular basis using xmms.

I think pretty much any email/news/web client is going to have to maintain
a list of helper apps if it can't rely on the operating system for it at
this point.  He uses KDE so if there's a simple command line KDE "start
this app using the default binding" like Win32 had ("start") that would
work, or even the same for GNOME (even though Mandrake 8.2's GNOME is
broken, with no way to change mime types through a GUI, but anyway....)

Rob