pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:41:16 -0600

"J.B. Moreno" wrote:

> On 7/23/02 2:53 PM, Jim Henderson at <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Regarding "quote selected text":
> >
> > I never thought that my comments would start such an involved
> > discussion.  To remove the ambiguity from my comments, I've attached a
> > small jpg of the option in Netscape 4.x that I'm interested in.
> >
> > Technically, it's not a "quote selected text" option, but I prefer to
> > have the option of pasting text as a quotation, per the menu item
> > indicated from NS.
>
> You can (and lots of programs do) have a "Past as Quotation" command without
> having the option to NOT quote anything when replying/following up.

<sigh>

Man, I can't seem to compose a reply to this without coming across as
being sarcastic, and I know it's the drugs talking (Sudafed is NOT my
friend today).

Suffice to say that I am fully aware of the lack of any interdependency
between these two options.  They're two separate parts of the same
feature request, which is to modify bits of how quoting is done.

Since I seem to be having trouble conveying exactly what I want (when I
thought there was NO ambiguity in my request at all), let me state it
again:

1.  Option to NOT QUOTE ANY of a message being replied to. (Preference
selectable)
2.  Option to "paste text as quotation" per Netscape 4.x (and also Moz,
at least 1.1 Alpha does have it, I just checked)
3.  Option to "quote selected text" is fine as it is.

#1 and #3 are tied together - the behaviour should be that a preference
selects the behaviour when no text is selected - ie, "do I quote
everything or nothing?".

#2 is not tied into either #1 or #3.  It's a completely independent part
of the enhancement request.

Jim