pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Thinking out loud about task management

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Thinking out loud about task management
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:02:07 -0500

> What might be better is to have levels of priority in the queue:
>
>   * body downloads are processed first
>   * new headers are processed if no body tasks
>   * decode tasks are processed if no body or header tasks

one thing that's bugged me a bit about the way pan handles downloads; is
that when you tell it to download new headers in multiple groups, it grabs
the headers for one group, then downloads any bodies that match the
filtering rules (for things to download) -- then goes on to the next group.

I'd rather see it download new headers for all the selected groups; then
download the bodies. this is because I usually tell it to download all the
new headers in all the subscribed groups (which makes me miss the command to
do just that, which disappeared in 12.x); then I'll go through the groups
and pick out interesting things to download, which haven't been caught by
the rules.

having to wait for the bodies to download (sucking all my bandwidth, so SSH
and WWW traffic gets pretty slow) before reading new headers, can be
slightly frustrating at times.

still, it's better than doing it all by hand. :)

anyone else have similar experiences/comments? I suspect the problem will be
largely moot when cron-able pan comes out; because I can schedule that to
run in the middle of the night, so my headers and watched-for bodies will be
ready for me in the morning. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator