pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with pan 0.13.0 crashing on FreeBSD

From: Joe Marcus Clarke
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with pan 0.13.0 crashing on FreeBSD
Date: 24 Aug 2002 01:07:18 -0400

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 02:17, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Greetings.  I'm a member of the FreeBSD GNOME team, and the porter of
> pan-0.13.0 to FreeBSD.  All in all, a fairly easy port to make.
> However, at least two FreeBSD users (myself included), have seen a
> problem starting pan.  It bus errors.
>
> I only see this problem when trying to send pan to a remote X display
> (the display has the exact same fonts, and is running the exact same
> version of XFree86).  Another user sees this problem even when starting
> pan locally.  Below is a full back trace.  Now, looking at this, it
> looks like a pango problem with fonts.  However, none of my other GTK
> 2/GNOME 2 applications exhibit this behavior.  I have observed a similar
> crash when pan starts the initial druid, and after the initial
> preferences have been set.  This back trace shows a fresh out-of-the-box
> pan startup with no existing preferences.
>
> The reason I didn't go ahead and file a bug was that this looks very
> much like a pango issue.  However, I can't see where the problem lies.
> I was hoping someone could shed some light on this, or point me in the
> right direction.  I am running GNOME 2.0.1 with _the latest released_
> GNOME 2 libraries.  This includes gtk-2.0.6, pango-1.0.4, and
> glib-2.0.6.  I have tried numerous font settings, but the only thing
> that works for me is launching pan from a console display.  If I launch
> pan from my GNOME 2 machine, and set the display to a remote machine,
> the bus error still occurs.  Any help that can be provided would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Joe

Just as a follow-up to this, I found the problem.  When pan was linked
with -Wl,--export-dynamic, the bus error occurred.  If this flag was
removed, everything works as expected.  I think there may be a symbol
conflict between a pango module and pan, but I haven't looked into it
deeply enough.

I'm curious to know if Linux users are also seeing this since
-Wl,--export-dynamic is a linker flag that comes from gmodule, and thus
pan should be linked with it by default (at least on RH 7.2).

Joe