pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] All hail discordia!

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] All hail discordia!
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:58:42 -0700

On Monday 14 October 2002 15:30, Malverian ... wrote:
> This has absolutely nothing to do with Pan development or use, but after
> seeing "It's always funny until somebody immanentizes the eschaton" []

On the same note...  I've wondered for some time what the story is behind the
selected quotes for each version.  I expected I'd find it in a FAQ somewhere,
as I would have thought that would indeed be a literal "Frequently Asked
Question", but if it's in one, I haven't spotted it.

Suggestion... Put a ~ two sentence blurb in the "About" dialog, explaining the
origins of the current phrase, and a URL pointing to a page on rebelbase,
with a history of perhaps slightly longer (3-5 sentence) versions, also
citing the reference.

Alternatively, distribute a file documenting that info, and put a (probably
unchanging) link to it in the about box.  As assumably not everyone would be
interested in this info, and to keep distribution sizes that much smaller,
however, option one would likely be preferred.

In either case, it could be made a part of the config file, rather than hard
coded.  Thus, in case one, the config file would include the sentences,
although the unchanging URL could be hard coded.  In case two, the location
of the quote file could be put in the config file, making it easier to change
locations for different distributions, etc.

If there's a positive reaction to this idea, I'll put it in the bugzilla
suggestion box, but if no one else likes the idea, I'll leave it at this
posting, and forget about it.  Anyone like the idea or have a better one?

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin