pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: merge groups.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: merge groups.
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:27:00 -0700

On Wed 08 Jan 2003 03:12, James Hawtin posted as excerpted below:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Duncan wrote:
> > ??  That all works here, and has since 0.11.x at least, AFAIK.
> > Cross-posted articles link to the same cached articles once they
> > download, and once downloaded, marked read, or deleted, in one group,
> > they are the same in the other groups as well.
>
> In my experience (pan 0.13.1) articles downloaded in one group are marked
> with the "cache" symbol in others that it appears. Articles are only
> marked saved or read if you are currently viewing the group they are
> contained in.

Hmm..  I think you are correct.  I've been having them d/l to cache lately,
then view them in the group, then save them if desired, then delete them, so
they seldom show up in the other group by the time I get back to it, as
they've already been deleted, so they wouldn't show up marked read or saved
or not.  Some time ago, back when the max cache size in the GUI was 1G, I was
doing more multi-parts, and saved them directly then, because the cache
wouldn't hold them all and by the time I finished d/ling, all but one or two
parts of the first messages were expired to make room for newer messages.
That didn't work to well, so I saved directly to disk back then, but with the
larger cache size now, and doing less multi-parts right now, I've been doing
it all in cache first, and deleting them from there, so I haven't noticed the
effect you mention, and had forgotten what I'd read mentioning it earlier.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin