pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] GNET

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] GNET
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:09:40 -0800

> I noticed a new dependency in the PAN 0.13.3.90, GNET-config.  Is this the
> same gnet from gnetlibrary.org?  What is this new package used for in pan?

GNet was used to make the socket code portable to Windows.
It's a small library, and its only dependency is glib, so
the pain shouldn't be too great.

Thinking about how to best use GNet in Pan has given me new ideas...
It would be nice to manage the socket pool such that all the connections
could be churning away on the same multipart binary, rather than one
socket per task, and if someone clicked an article to read it,
a socket could be diverted away from the multipart, download the
clicked article, and go back to the multipart task.  The `reserve
connection for reading articles' button would go away.

I'll probably tackle this for 0.14.0.

cheers,
Charles