pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Hello There (OT)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Hello There (OT)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:34:01 -0700

On Fri 24 Jan 2003 12:28, Anna posted as excerpted below:
> On Friday 24 January 2003 18:22, John LeMay wrote:
> > Not to turn the list into a forum for distro pros/cons, but I just
> > migrated away from Mandrake recently. After looking at what was
> > available, I decided on SuSE. It's a well put together distro that is
> > only a bit more complex to install than Drake was. As for actually using
> > it, I've found it to "just plain work" unlike a lot of my experience
> > with Drake (especially when it came to fonts and 3D support).
> >
> > I compared RedHat, Debian, Slack, Gentoo, SuSE, and Drake when I made my
> > decision. RedHat is too geared for the server market right now, Debian
> > is nice but still requires a PhD to install, Slack's future seems
> > questionable even though it is still a nice distro with some real
> > hardcore supporters, and Gentoo seemed a bit to niche for what I wanted.
>
> OT,but thank you . I was allready thinking SuSe or Debian.
> No PhD here so...............

I've been thinking about trying Debian or Gentoo.  (I'm using Mdk 9.1 Cooker,
updating twice a week or so, now, and don't have any complaints, as I've
figured out most of the stuff that originally bothered me.)  Suse gets decent
reviews, but keeps at least some of the stuff they develop proprietary.  If I
wanted proprietary, I'd have not bothered switching from MS 15 months or so
ago.  Debian is supposed to be one of the easiest to maintain, altho it's
also supposed to be a bit more difficult than some to originally install.
Both the EZ maintenance and the fact that Debian is considered the choice of
Linux developers have me heavily considering it.  Gentoo's bonus is that it's
all compiled from source for the individual platform it's deployed on, and
the fact that installing a standard tar.bz2 won't mess up it's packaging
system database, from what I read, like it does RPM based distribs.  (I am
not sure how well Debian handles that scenario.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin