pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Key for changing server?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Key for changing server?
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:49:29 -0700

On Tue 04 Feb 2003 02:35, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit posted as excerpted below:
> 'm using several servers, and all the changing between them is a
> hassle. What about having a quick-access key for next/previous server?
> Or what about an option to show all subscribed groups across servers in
> the group list (that would be the best for me)?

The last, "virtual servers", is on the slate, for inclusion after they change
the database format.  The current one just isn't efficient or advanced enough
to do that without a huge amount of work.  They are planning on  switching to
SQLite libraries, compatible with MySQL for those wishing to do additional
data mining, etc, but not requiring it, before 1.0.  When they do so, they
will be instituting the new record format with virtual servers and similar
features in mind, making a whole lot of fancy stuff possible. with far less
additional work than it would take now.

Since PAN has customizable keys, you can set your own shortcuts for the
servers you run.  I've done that, setting Ctl-Sft-Fx function key shortcuts
for each one.   (Was it straight numbers, or function keys, used for the
tabbed interface?  I removed those shortcuts, as I don't use that, so it
doesn't interfere here, in any case.)

See the "Changing quickkeys" thread from back about mid-January for detailed
info (check the group archives if necessary), but basically, it requires a
"gtk-can-change-accels = 1" entry in your gtkrc-2.0 file or equivilant (for
post 0.12.0 GTK2 versions), then point to the menu item and hit the combo
you'd like to use.  Somehow that doesn't seem to work here, however, so I
have to edit the hotkeys file, as described in the thread mentioned above.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin