pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] article status not saving/displaying

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] article status not saving/displaying
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:09:58 -0700

On Wed 07 May 2003 08:04, Steven Adeff posted as excerpted below:
> I've noticed this for quite a while, and always just thought it would get
> fixed, but its been a while, so I'm assuming I might be one of the few
> people having this problem....
> My article status(retreived from server, saved, etc) don't get saved
> correctly. So if I do things like
> -look at headers for another newsgroup then go back
> -quit pan and run it againn
> the article states don't get displayed, so I don't know which articles I've
> downloaded already, or which I've read already, etc.
>
> I'm running mandrake 9.1 and the cooker builds of Pan btw.
> thanks!

It works fine here, using cooker updated twice or more weekly, but the latest
PAN from pan.rebelbase.com, since the Cooker builds haven't had spell
checking enabled (they say because there's no easy way to change the language
checked).  My kernel is also non-Mdk, but rather straight off of kernel.org
and self-compiled.

I'm guessing one of the gtk library dependencies is a bit old on your system,
if you are still running 9.1, but w/ the cooker PAN.  It might also be video
driver??  Here, I run triple monitor and xinerama, with an older NVidia
GForce II dual output, which of course requires the NVidia proprietary driver
to enable the second output, and an even OLDER S3 Virge PCI for my third
monitor.  With that combo and xinerama, it isn't as accelerated as some are,
which means less driver bugs even if it IS slower.

First thing I'd try is upgrading all the gtk/pango/atk/etc libraries to the
latest Cooker versions, then install the latest PAN, now 0.14.0.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin