pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.3 question

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.3 question
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:23:49 -0400

On Friday 23 May 2003 13:40, Anthony wrote:

> Yeah, I know. I should upgrade. But I haven't upgraded to Gnome 2, or
> whatever, and this is the highest version for which there are SuSE rpms
> that I can run.

        I know what you mean.  Upgrade when there's a good reason to.  :)

> When using "save articles as", is there a way to include the encoded
> filename in a custom filename? Someone posts 50 pictures of their cat,
> and names the files 101.jpg to 150.jpg. I want to save them as
> BobsCat101.jpg to BobsCat150.jpg. How do I do this?

        As far as I know, there's no way built into Pan, but if you're using
Bash
as your command shell, you can save them all in the same place and do
something like this:

for f in *.jpg ; do mv "${f}" "BobsCat${f}" ; done

        When testing a batch command like that, you might want to use "echo mv"
instead of plain "mv", so it'll print out everything it would do, instead
of actually doing it.  That's saved my butt a few times!  :)

        At least in 0.14.0, the %g symbol in "Save attachments as..." directory
will expand to alt.binaries.pictures.cats, and %G will expand to
alt/binaries/pictures/cats.  I don't know when that was introduced, and I
*am* aware that that affects the directory name, not the filename itself,
but that's about all the info I have on that subject.

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//