pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 Slow on large group

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 Slow on large group
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:35:10 -0600

On 2003.06.29 12:39, T-Bone wrote:

I have been using Pan for a while now. I have a binary group that has grown quite large of late. Currently the total article count for this group is at 1008007. I always save loading and looking at this group for when I have something other to do than sit at the machine and stare at a churning app. It takes a VERY long time to load , display or generally work with this group. Is anything being done to either speed up handling of very large groups?

A different but related issue... I finally figured out what causes a bug that I mentioned here a few months ago. Sometimes when I load a group some of the subject lines will have (n) appended to show that there are n new messages, but when I open the thread there aren't any new messages there.

What's happening is this. I don't automagically download headers when I select a group; I have to type 'a' to download them. If I want new headers I usually just click to load the group and then immediately type 'a' to fetch the new headers. But on large groups (~20K messages) the download will finish before the load/sort/display of the existing headers, and the result is the anomalous display that I mentioned before.

All the information is present; it just isn't displayed correctly. For example, if I get the anomalous display I can immediately exit Pan, restart Pan, and click to load the group (but not download new headers), and all the missing articles will now be visible, and will still be boldened to show that they are new.

I'm not sure what the proper fix is.  My guess is that the load/sort/
display for the existing headers and then for the new headers need to be queued up where they can't execute simultaneously, but I don't know what impact that would have on other operations.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas