pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 Slow on large group

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 Slow on large group
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:53:19 -0700

On Fri 04 Jul 2003 04:35, Bobby D. Bryant posted as excerpted below:

> A different but related issue... I finally figured out what causes a
> bug that I mentioned here a few months ago.  Sometimes when I load a
> group some of the subject lines will have (n) appended to show that
> there are n new messages, but when I open the thread there aren't any
> new messages there.
>
> What's happening is this.  I don't automagically download headers when
> I select a group; I have to type 'a' to download them.  If I want new
> headers I usually just click to load the group and then immediately
> type 'a' to fetch the new headers.  But on large groups (~20K messages)
> the download will finish before the load/sort/display of the existing
> headers, and the result is the anomalous display that I mentioned
> before.
>
> All the information is present; it just isn't displayed correctly.  For
> example, if I get the anomalous display I can immediately exit Pan,
> restart Pan, and click to load the group (but not download new
> headers), and all the missing articles will now be visible, and will
> still be boldened to show that they are new.
>
> I'm not sure what the proper fix is.  My guess is that the load/sort/
> display for the existing headers and then for the new headers need to
> be queued up where they can't execute simultaneously, but I don't know
> what impact that would have on other operations.

As Charles would say, please create a bugzilla report on this.  Good work
tracing down the cause!  I expect it should be fairly easy to fix this, with
this information.  I expect the solution will be to simply attach a call to
the redisplay function called when overviews are refreshed, to the end of the
group load function.  It seems that would solve the problem and is a
perfectly logical and simple solution, from here.  Filing the bugzilla report
will ensure the bug doesn't get lost, and I'm guessing the fix, if as simple
as I'm thinking it should be, will likely be incorporated into the 0.14.1,tho
it might not make the next beta version.  (I'm not sure where they are on the
path to it, but I'm guessing it might be out shortly, as 0.14.0 has been out
some time -- long enough for the customary "rest" after a stable release, so
the next beta should be just around the corner, I'd guess.)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin