pan-users

[Pan-users] GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warning o

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warning on long posts
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 07:13:24 -0700

I was recently re-reading RFC 1855, Netiquette Guidelines, and came across the
following:

The introduction to Section 3. covering 1-2-many communication including
NetNews says in part, "Any time you engage in One-to-Many communications, all
the rules for  mail should also apply."  Certainly, the format of news and
mail are very similar, and based on the same original Internet Message Format
RFCs, and a news message is very similar to a mail message, except with the
opportunity to offend more people (paraphrasing from the intro).

The section on mail, 2.2.1, includes the following

<quote>

It's [] good practice to include the word "Long" in the  subject header so the
recipient knows the message will take time  to read and respond to. Over 100
lines is considered "long".

</quote>

Therefore, I propose a warning similar to the one used for lines longer than
80 characters, suggesting that "(long)" be added to the subject line if an
article is longer than 100 lines. and it isn't already there, of course, with
the same post anyway and cancel options.

I decided to post this here b4 bugzilla-izing the request, to see what others
thought.  Obviously, I think the idea warrants consideration, at least.  I'd
appreciate the automated warning at 100 lines, so I don't have to count them
or remember to think about it anyway, with each longer post.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin