pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warni

From: Fred Fraley
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA-ish feature suggestion -- RFC 1855 compliant warning on long posts
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:34:47 -0400

> It's [] good practice to include the word "Long" in the  subject
> header so the recipient knows the message will take time  to read
> and respond to. Over 100 lines is considered "long".

        I wonder if this is one of those "traditional" things that no longer
really applies?  History:
        Older, non-internet news relays did not always show line counts, if
present they often had no relationship to the message length, and
connection time was valuable (remember when upgrading to a
"high-speed" modem meant 2400 baud and sysop privileges meant
doubling your limit from 30' to 60'/day on a BBS?).  Etiquette also
meant using a packet reader like BlueWave to handle "long" messages
offline.

        Whilst reminiscing, most packet readers also flagged if you were
about to post anything more than 25-50% quoted material.  And, at
least in my area, it was VERY bad form to bottom post.
        I still like top posted messages better - I can quickly find the
start of the new material and refer to the old material - of course
50 lines at the most- if I need to.  Now it seems reversed, with
several screens of quoted repost and (I hope) one screen or less of
new material.  If there's more that that I have to go searching for
where it starts.
        Hmmm...Maybe everyone could put a <START HERE!!> flag on the new
material, and we could automatically scan there to find the beginning
:->