pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make th

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make the Bed"
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 01:15:35 -0600

Sorry for the wrapping below... my e-mail client doesn't manage quote wrapping as well as Pan does!

On 2003.07.30 15:28, Charles Kerr wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:48:53PM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> 1) If you are reading one article and use MB-3 to select (but not load) > another one in the header pane, the body pane is erased. This is not
> good because it means you can't start a new sort in the header pane
> while reading the currently loaded article.

Go ahead and file a bugzilla ticked on this.  I think this is a
side-effect of #118152, which clears the body pane when the user
switches groups.

Done.

> 2) Formerly if you selected one of your own posts, unthreaded, and
> sorted by author, you could find all your posts that had new or
unread
> replies anywhere under them in their thread by skimming down the
list
> to find those with the fonts indicating "new" or "unread".   Now
those
> fonts are only used if your actual post is new or unread, so I'm
once
> more left trying to figure out how to find live subthreads.
>
> Notice that if you thread the header pane and collapse the threads,
the
> top-level post in a thread still gets the font telling you that
there
> are new or unread replies in the thread.  The change is only when
you
> unthread the headers.

I'm interested in getting other pan-users opinions here, but on the
face of it I don't see the point of bolding articles when you can't
actually reach their followups without rethreading anyway.

IMO a better way to find new/unread replies to your posts is to click
"Match Only My Articles" + "Show Matching Articles' Subthreads".

Ah, I didn't know this feature was there. It works fine on 0.14.0, so I'll give it a try on the new 0.14.0.94 when I have a minute.

I did notice one of the earlier releases announced "support for sub-
threads", which I suppose refers to this feature. So now that we have support for subthreads, I wonder whether I can do something I requested earlier and which someone else has requested more recently: Is it possible to set up a bozo filter that says -

        "delete/score/mark-read/whatever this post and everything in
         the subthread it heads"?

I don't like deleting bozoposts because deletions screw up the threading in the header display. But there are some psychotics that I just don't care to have any interaction with. They tend to start threads, but if I deleted entire threads that they posted to the would occasionally force deletion of other good threads that they post to. The obvious solution is to delete/mark-read/score-down any subthreads that they start, leaving the rest of the thread tree intact.

Thanks,
--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas