pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] [windows] 3 Needed features

From: Michael Walsh
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] [windows] 3 Needed features
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:57:38 +0100

> I no longer do windows, so am not familiar with the problem.
> However, something that used to work with similar problems
> was opening a new window and moving it over top the garbled
> one forcing a repaint.  Whether that works here or not, I can't say.

No, it still looks all screwed up. Which is a huge shame. Even with .95.
The even more annoying problem is its always loosing headers (as someone
else mentioned)
Why is it just acting badly since the last stable release?

> Was 0.14.0 the one missing the view read messages option?  I
> thought that was one of the 0.14.9x betas?

It does have the option in filters, erm, but it doesn't work. I post a
message, I read it, a day later and no other replies, I can't see the
message.

> > Better organisation of stored messages.
> > Documents and Settings\username\.pan\messages\cache
> > Perhaps an option to have them under messages\cache\server\newsgroup
>
> This won't work.  PAN keeps only one copy of x-posted
> messages.  In which group would it keep that copy?  (In *ix,
> one could theoretically use probably hard links to point to
> it from the various locations, but MSWormOS doesn't have such
> a feature with many of its file systems, does it?)

Shame, but I can always write a little app to organise the files once they
are 2 months old myself.

> At some point, PAN's back-end message handling is going to be
> rewritten to use SQLite, a database management library
> compatible with MySQL (but just a library, thus much
> smaller).

Great, how long is that dream away? Should be interesting on windows, a
great backend but still can't see the messages?