pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan on Solaris 2.8 libfontconfig problem

From: LeRoy M. Dorman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan on Solaris 2.8 libfontconfig problem
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:31:12 -0700

Thanks to Duncan and ALex for their suggestions.

I had not, in fact, installed pan with pkg-get, but with pkgadd.
I did, however loaded what I thought were all the dependencies using pkg-get (working my way up the learning curve). So I pkgrm'd pan and reinstalled with pkg-get, which added more dependents, including python.

Those things by themselves did not, though fix the problem.
A clew emerged when I ran ldd (list dynamic dependencies) on the pan
executable and ldd showed

        libfreetype.so.6 =>   /usr/sfw/lib/libfreetype.so.6
which looked suspicious. Poking around further, I found in my environment,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sfw/lib:/opt/sfw/lib
When I zeroed out LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ldd showed
        libfreetype.so.6 =>   /opt/csw/lib/libfreetype.so.6

and pan loaded and executed. Hooray

BUT,
Mozilla would work.-- the frame loaded incompletely and it was unresponsive.

So for the moment, I use two differently-configured shells, one with .
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set as before, for Mozilla, and one with it unset.

Sigh.

Hope this helps somebody else.