pan-users

re: [Pan-users] Re: A couple of questions

From: Danita Zanre
Subject: re: [Pan-users] Re: A couple of questions
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:57:00 -0700

>One particularly good PAN feature is the ability to reassign keyboard
>accelerator functions.  Hover your mouse over a menu item, and hit the key
>combo you want to assign to it.  Delete deletes the current combo, so it
>can be assigned elsewhere.  Note that for single letter keys, the local
>menu accelerator function takes precedence.  Thus, you can't use this
>method to assign "r" to mark read in the Articles menu, for instance,
>because once in that menu, "r" will activate mark read, instead of
>assigning the function.  You could of course assign ctrl-r or something.
>However, these and other "exotic" key combos that can't easily be assigned
>from within PAN, can be assigned if you quit PAN and edit the appropriate
>config file (~/.pan/data/accels.txt by default) directly.  (Don't bother
>attempting to sort the entries.  PAN will just scramble them the next time
>it uses the file anyway.  Use your editor's search function to find the
>entry you want.)  The default entries are all commented, but you can
>uncomment them and change them if necessary.  Be aware of the possibility
>of creating duplicate assignments when you do, however.

This is good info - I have used a newsreader for years that uses "r" for "reply
to group" and of course I'm constantly accidentally hitting reply and creating
emails! Only thing that has saved me is not setting up an outbound mail server
to avoid sending. Now I can fix that!

Thanks for your excellent reply!

Danita