pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How to install Pan on XP?

From: beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How to install Pan on XP?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:17:13 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:08:03 -0500, Michael A Chase tech wrote:

> What are you using to give WinXP access to the Fedora partition?

I don't understand the question. I'll tell you what I did, and maybe that
will help. First I installed XP on the older smaller drive. Then I tried
to install FC on the other, and got so messed up I had to start over from
scratch -- with a very helpful Fedora guru walking me though the FC
install. The relevant point, I imagine, is that we gave that partition a
file system which is called one name in linux and another name in Windows,
but which both can read; one of the names is vfat, but I disremember
which.

Next time I booted XP (which had been calling its hard drive F: for some
reason) it also showed a C: drive -- with 45 gigs free, in addition to the
14.5 it still showed, half used, on F:  IOW, IF I understand correctly,
simply using that file system was all it took, and XP found its own access.

In case this tells anyone something: when my browser asks me where to file
a download it's offering to save, it won't let me put it in /shared. I
have to download it to /home/btth as usual, and then do "mv [whatever]
/shared"

>> I downloaded what looked to be the main file, using Fedora, and moved
>> it onto the /shared partition. Then I noticed a couple of gtk files, a
>> .txt and a .exe; so I downloaded them, too, also using Fedora, and
>> moved them as well.
>>
>> But now what do I do?
>
> You run the .exe files under WinXP to actually install them.

Hmmmm .... iow, from the start menu I go to Run, tell it cmd, enter, copy
the name of the .exe to the prompt, and hit enter again??
--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1 & YDL 4.0