pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Soell Checker (again) SuSE 9.2

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Soell Checker (again) SuSE 9.2
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:40:06 -0700

John Phillips posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:02:24 +1100:

> Sorry to revisit.
>
> Anybody know of a rpm version for SuSE 9.2 for Pan with spell check
> incorporated?
>
> Or is there any way to use Aspell as an add in?

Aspell works if the build has been compiled with that feature.  I'm on
Gentoo now and of course compile PAN as I do everything, but back when I
was on Mandrake, their version didn't incorporate spell check either.
Something about it being too difficult to change an environmental variable
to change spellchecked language.  <shrug>  Thus, I often used the Red Hat
rpm which in general installed fine (the dependencies were a bit different
but I guess the required libraries provided the RH version of the
dependency as well, so it worked).  If the dependencies /are/ off, make
sure the SuSE version of the dependency is installed, and then install the
RH rpm with --nodeps.  It should find them and run fine.

Alternatively, simply compile from tarball.  The first time might be a bit
difficult, ensuring you have all the required devel packages installed,
but after that, it's not a big deal at all, and since the tarballs are the
first thing released, you know you always have a package available to
choose -- and you get to enable the options YOU want, including spell
check, if you want it, instead of having to depend on what the packager
decided was appropriate (which is one of the big benefits of Gentoo as
well, now that I switched to it from Mandrake). I eventually switched to
compiling PAN from tarball here, even back on Mandrake, because it was
simply easier, both because I could always get spell check enabled, and
because I never had to wait around after a new release for somebody to rpm
an appropriate package.