pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: newbie question about yenc

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: newbie question about yenc
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:39:29 -0700

Marc de Palol posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:56:12 +0200:

> I'm new at this list. I have a question about posting yenc coded files.
> I tried to post them with pan, but I can't.
>
> I've tried to copy/paste the yencoded file to the pan's editor, but it
> doesn't work, the pic is posted, but when i read it on the newsgroup the
> pic doesn't appear inline, I have to download the entire message to see
> it.
>
> I've read the faq and some of the older mail list posts and I've only
> found that people use ypost to post binary files, is that because Pan
> can't yet?

Yes.  The only way to post binaries with PAN is the way you were doing it,
manually, pasting in the output from a separate encoder.  Before PAN 1.0,
that will probably change at least for one at a time, single part binary
posts. However, whether PAN will ever get "real" binary posting ability,
that is, multi-part binaries and batch-posting, hasn't been decided yet,
AFAIK. There's a strong tradition in the *ix community of letting a tool
do one just one thing, but do it well, which applied to PAN, means many
would prefer to use something else for binary posting, and just make sure
PAN is the best it can be as a graphical client binary downloader, and
text reader and poster.