pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Is there Pan for <shudder> XP?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Is there Pan for <shudder> XP?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:07:01 -0700

beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:38:56 -0400:

> I find myself having to run XP for a few hours a week. (I know there are
> GPS/topo map programs for linux, but I haven't found one subtechnoid
> enough for my ability; and I have a substantial investment in proprietary
> software -- Delorme, Garmin, Maptech, and National Geographic among others
> -- which afaik neither Crossover Office nor VMWare can yet handle.)
>
> While on that machine, I can of course hit the KVM switch to get back to a
> clean & decent one, with Pan up and running; but if I then want to use,
> say, a URL for something that does run under MegaSleazo, I have to email
> it to myself. (One of these days I've *gotta* tackle setting up a LAN --
> maybe even before I buckle down to learning emacs or vi ... <sheepish
> grin>)
>
> So does Pan for XP exist? I don't see it at rebelbase.com.

Pan for MSWormOS (including eXPrivacy) does exist, yes.  However, from
what I've read it's not the easiest to set up.  It requires gtk++
libraries, of course, and the MSWormOS versions it was originally built
against are no longer maintained.  There are replacements out there, but
again from what I've read on the list (I don't do proprietaryware, with
the exception of a single old DOS based game, Master of Orion, I still
play in DOSBOX on Gentoo amd64, no, not even flash or java do I touch),
they require a bit of "fixing" of either them or PAN, to get PAN to
compile and run against them.

As I don't run it, I've not had occasion to find out where PAN for
MSWormOS is available, but AFAIK, it's onsite, tho you may have to go
manually browsing the download dirs.  Hopefully, someone who can type with
a bit more authority on the subject will chime in.

> Or is there a canonical second best? (FreeAgent, maybe??)

I'd suggest following the GNKSA link on the PAN site.  There are several
GNKSA approved newsreaders for MSWormOS.  Agent has a loyal following, but
scored lower on GNKSA than I might have thought based on its reputation.
Non-GNKSA might or might not be fine for you, but with PAN being 100%
GNKSA compliant on both MUSTs and SHOULDs, if you want something like PAN,
I'd suggest that GNKSA list would be a good place to start looking.  What
the update status and cost of anything listed is, I of course don't know,
but again, it's where I'd start.