pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Control the geometry of the editor thingy?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Control the geometry of the editor thingy?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:01:43 -0700

chris posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:12:33 +0930:

> Hi.
>
> The editor that pops up when you press P or F, in which you write the
> message you intend to post. Can I control the geometry or the font in
> it? It's always to small to fit my text in.

Yes and yes.

The geometry of the compose (edit) window is, I believe, controlled by
your window manager, with hints from PAN, I think.  Naturally, whether
your window manager ignores or uses the hints PAN supplies (assuming I'm
right and that PAN is supplying them) is upto it. Here, I use KDE,
therefore KWin as my window manager. When I resize the compose window,
then close it, the next time I pop it up, it's the same size and shape as
when I closed it. Therefore, I long ago resized it to something
reasonable, and it maintains that unless I mess with it, in which case I
simply have to mess with it again to get it back to something again
reasonable.

Therefore, if your window manager isn't remembering the reset size and
shape of the window as it should, consider either reconfiguring it, or
switching window managers.

The font used in the compose window appears, here, to be the one
selected as the monospace font.  I always view in monospace font anyway,
so it's the same as the one in my message pane, but even if the message
pane is in proportional-space-font mode, the compose window still comes up
in monospace mode.

Therefore, to change the font or font size in the compose window, set your
preference in the PAN Preferences dialog, on the fonts tab, at the
monospace font setting.  It appears you can choose something other than a
monospace font, if desired.  I am using Vera Sans Mono, here.