pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?

From: John Wendel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:02:40 -0700

Phillip Pi wrote:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 10:21:31AM -0700, John Wendel wrote:

Phillip Pi wrote:

Hello,

Is it me or does Pan v0.14.2.91 fail to handle large numbers of headers

from a newsgroup? I tried to download about 3,044,000 headers from

alt.binaries.hdtv newsgroup. My computer choked at about 1,900,000 headers when I came back from a 30 minutes break. HDD light was spinning, m KDE v3.3.4 was frozen and not responsive. I had to kill Pan via SSH. Of course that was slow as heck too. I eventually to kill X server because stuff was broken.

I am using an Athlon XP 2200+ with 1 GB of RAM. Isn't that enough or is Pan not optimized for this big number of headers?

Thank you in advance. :)

Known problem, mostly fixed in the CVS version. Just run these commands to build yourself a version that works (with a few random bugs).

export CVSROOT=":pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/gnome"

cvs login

cvs -z3 checkout pan

cd pan

./autogen.sh

make

Before I attempt to try it. Is the CVS version currently stable enough to
use? When is the next version coming out (estimate is fine)?

I've been using CVS for a few months now, it crashes once in a while, but it has never broken anything and it always restarts just where it quit. There are a few binary files that will make it crash, some strange par2 file that it doesn't like, so I just don't download them. All things considered, I'm much happier with CVS than with the last release. I can't see any reason to use the old version.

You can keep your old version, and just install the new pan in your own private bin directory. It seems to switch between versions OK, with some minor complaints. I haven't run the old version in months however, so this advice may be wrong.

Only the developers know when the next version will be ready. I wish I had the smarts to help.

Regards,

John