pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request: Increase image preview to three parts.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: Increase image preview to three parts.
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:59:41 -0700

Brad Sims posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:35:16 -0600:

> I've several groups which have three part binaries and would like to
> preview them in Pan before downloading them. Is there a setting somewhere
> in the source code I can tweak if this is a GINSKA requirement?

Initially, I couldn't quite make sense of your post.  I was trying to
parse it as a three-part single-article post, two parts of which are
independent binaries, for which PAN already works fine, AFAICT.

Upon rereading, I believe you mean single binary (image) posts, with the
binary spread across three articles?  The ability to view the first part
or two of those, without having to download the others, just as PAN can
now do with the first part of two-article post binaries, is what you are
requesting.

I too would find this useful on occasion.  I don't believe it's part of
GNKSA, but as the current beta and stable releases are two years old and
CVS is rather dramatically chanced from the current beta release, filing a
feature request based on them, at this point, likely isn't going to be
very helpful, and it's anyone's guess when a new beta and ultimately
release series will be forthcoming, from what's now the CVS version.

Thus, if you'd like to hack on the CVS version, download it and see if
your request still applies (I don't run CVS here but haven't seen anything
on the group/list indicating a change of that nature).  If it does, hack
away and consider filing a bug with the patch when done.  (Or simply make
the request based on the CVS version, altho naturally, it's not as likely
to be integrated, if it doesn't come with patch included.)

If you prefer to stick with stable/beta mainline releases, you'll almost
certainly need to create the patch yourself, but please post it (to devel,
not user) when done.  It's not likely to be integrated into current CVS as
it likely won't apply there, but other users may find it useful.

In any case, further discussion should probably be moved to the devel
list.  I'm a regular on both, but don't do C myself, so can't help you
with specifics.  However, someone on the devel list may help, if you make
the request there.  It's certainly worth posting the request, anyway.