pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Newbie - Pan 0.14.2 under Suse 8.3 two problems

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Newbie - Pan 0.14.2 under Suse 8.3 two problems
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:37:27 -0700

G4BBH-ahFiFFcFS+5AfugRpC6u6w posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:34:00 +0000:

> As I am on board a boat I only get internet access every few days from a
> wireless hotspot.  E-mail is usually via a radio link.  I have been using
> Yahoo to send mail but this requires authentication and Pan does not seem
> to cater for this.  Any suggestions?

I've never had to use authenticated mail send (it's always been by IP,
here), but perhaps someone else can answer for sure if there's a more
direct way than I'm about to suggest...

One way around the problem would be to run a local mail server on your
box (say, listening to 127.0.0.1/localhost only, so no remote access
meaning no remote security issues), and setup PAN to send to it.  It would
in turn relay the mail to the remote server.  I've never actually set this
up, but I understand it has a number of advantages over the usual mail
client setup.  Among other things, local cron jobs and the like can use
the local mail facilities, so you can get your log output mailed to
address@hidden or whatever.

Of course, that may be overkill for what you want, which along with simply
never yet taking the time to look into it, is why I've not done it here.

> I also use three servers (suse and vmware support news server and one
> general server).  If I set up to auto download new headers and bodies on
> start up Pan seems to only handle the current;y selected server, not all
> servers so I have to manually request the new messages each time.  Is
> there a way to make Pan download all subscribed groups on all servers at
> start up?

I don't believe this is possible with the current stable/beta versions.
The CVS version, however, is SERIOUSLY changed, with part of the changes
being preparation for finally making PAN fully automated multi-server
aware.  I've not yet installed it, but those that have, have reported some
good things (as well as the usual unfinished issues one has, working with
CVS).  Thus, CVS may solve the problem now, and work is being done on it,
so whether the next release is fully multi-server automated or just starts
in that direction, the problem is being tackled.  No idea here when the
next version will be out, except to say it'll hopefully be next year.
(After all, the current beta version 0.14.2.91, has been out two years or
more, and the stable 0.14.2 version you mention is older than that!
Charles took about an 18 month break, but has been working on it again for
a few months, now.)