pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Coming April 1: Pan 0.90

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Coming April 1: Pan 0.90
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:59:03 -0700

Bruce Bowler posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:42:43 -0500:

> ISTR that in prior upgrades (it's been a while :-) there were some
> "issues" with settings changing (like I said, it's been a while, no I
> don't recall the specifics, but I think it was things like per
> newsgroup filter settings and sort order).
>
> Will that be the case this time as well or will there be an easy upgrade
> path?

I expect the usual "clone the config dir, or at least the files with
the settings you want to keep" would be a wise policy.  That makes it
eassy to roll back if necessary.  Not that I have any more knowledge than
what's been posted, but that policy has served me well thru many an
upgrade, and I expect it will here, as well.

In truth, however, I've never had much of a problem with PAN.  I'm the
type that likes to explore all the settings in a new version in any case,
just to see what's there and what might have changed, and while I'm doing
that, I check that everything, new and old, is the way I want it.  If
there are new settings I'm not sure about, I try them both ways and see.
It's not really an issue.

The only issue I've had with PAN was some instability in one of the betas,
and of course, trying to figure out why I was losing stuff I had
downloaded before I could look at it and save it, because the cache
defaulted to so tiny, back when I first started using PAN.  After I
figured out that I was supposed to save directly and sort thru the saved
stuff, if I used the default cache size, or that (at the time) I had to
increase the cache size by editing the config directly, since the GUI
wouldn't let me set a size large enough to retain browsable downloads, if
I wanted to sort in PAN after downloading but before saving, it worked
just fine.  (At the time PAN's cache setting using the GUI was limited to
a gig, and I needed 2-4 gig to work the way I wanted.  It was my
suggestion that got it upped to the current 20 gig, tho I've never used
more than my original 4 gig that I had to set by editing the
config file manually, back then.)