pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.103 on AMD64 Linux

From: Garrison Hoffman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.103 on AMD64 Linux
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:52:07 -0400

walt wrote:

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by 'the article' and
'whatever article'.  Could you give me some extra details or a more
specific example to help me reproduce your problem?

Sorry, once again I'm not understanding.  Maybe it's because I'm on
a high-speed link?  'Saving attachments' takes no time at all for me,
but maybe I'm just spoiled ;o)  You have a different experience?

I have 20MBit down & 5MBit up so I'd guess that if saving attachments takes no time at all then you're simply downloading teeny tiny attachments. Go to any active alt.binaries.* and download something.

For example, let's say you go to alt.binaries.lunatics to grab a 1.5GB video of Steve Ballmer and Richard Stallman yelling at each other. You find that the video has been packed into 65 RAR files and has 20 parity files, thus you have 85 files to retrieve. In the header pane they show up as 85 headers, or "Articles" as Pan calls them. (Did you really not understand this? Look at the Actions menu.)

If you select all 85 articles and hit Shift-S or right click and select "Save Attachments" or Actions->Save Attachments, you find that you cannot scroll without Pan jumping around between the articles who's attachments you are downloading and the currently highlighted/selected article. Naturally this is while on the Header pane.