pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Recent vs. New headers ?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Recent vs. New headers ?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:58:46 -0500

The book which I [mostly, because I had to return it before
finishing] read, on 'user interface design', must have been good
because I can now see clearly the faults in pan's interface.

We've got:
 Download New headers
 Download All headers
 Download Recent headers  <set counter: default=150>

Which apparently/unwisely defaults to:
   Download New headers.

The result apparently being, that if the Group is newly subscribed
and the NewsServer has a million articles dating back 5 years, these
are all 'New' headers, and thus downloaded !!

When faced with an empty group, 0.103 pops up a dialog to ask the
user whether to:

  (1) download the last N day's headers,
  (2) download all new headers in the group,
  (3) download all headers in the group, or
  (4) download the newest N headers.

The default value in the dialog is to download
the last 7 days' headers.

cheers,
Charles