pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ! wants to D/L half-Million headers back to 2002 !

From: Csv4Me2
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ! wants to D/L half-Million headers back to 2002 !
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:31:47 +0200

On Saturday 22 July 2006 05:53, address@hidden wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:56:39 +0200, crglur-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w wrote:
> > > On several of my groups pan is trying to download over 500'000
> > > headers. And on one group which I aborted the header D/L,
> > > only 2002 headers are present.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong ?
> >
> > You're using an old version of Pan.
>
> Anticipating this, I repeatedly mentioned that I'm using V 0.14.2
>
> > When faced with an empty group, 0.103 pops up a dialog to ask the
> > user whether to:
> >
> >  (1) download the last N day's headers,
> >  (2) download all new headers in the group,
> >  (3) download all headers in the group, or
> >  (4) download the newest N headers.
>
> I'd be more willing to beta-test 0.103 if I saw an honest admission
> of the problem by other users.  So far I mostly get implications
> that only I imagine these problems.
>
> > The default value in the dialog is to download
> > the last 7 days' headers.
>
> Well that would have avoided the problem.
>
> BTW does V 0.14.2 email properly ?
> As I remember the default port was 25. Is that right ?
> OTOH I'm not sure that I've ever emailed with the linux installation
>   that runs pan.  I suppose it uses sendmail ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> == Chris Glur.
>
> ======== script to mudge Tx-URL & post==
> System.CopyFiles  Oberon.TextPan => Oberon.Text ~
> Mail.Send  X1 ~

I see something similar when trying to D/L all the articles in the
alt.binaries.multimedia.startrek group (32000+ 50 MByte articles, millions of
messages, provider Giganews).
After a while Pan (0.102) starts a swapping frenzy and never completes, but
does not crash. CPU usage is very low. It eats up all memory and thats that.

This is probably a borderline case on a memory starved machine (1.5G RAM, 2 G
swap, linux 2.6.17.6) and those are difficult to solve without
reordering/redesigning the data structures and their access methods.

my two cents (and still using 0.14.90)

cvs4me2