pan-users

[Pan-users] Modal "Next" and "Back" buttons?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Modal "Next" and "Back" buttons?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:35:02 -0500

Recently I've gotten requests for "Next Cached", "Next Reply To Me",
and other combinations of unread/watched/cached/reply/thread.
The current answer is "set your filters", but someone mailed me
another approach I'd like pan-users to approve, refine, or reject.

The Go menu would look like this ([x] are checkboxes):

       Read More (space)
       Read Less (backspace)
   -------------------------------
       Next Unread Group (G)
       Next Group (shift-G)
   -------------------------------
       Next (N)
       Prev (V)
   [x] Only Cached (c)
   [x] Only Unread (u)
   [x] Only Watched (w)
   [x] Only Replies to Me (m)
   -------------------------------
       Parent Article (ctrl-u)

"Next", "Next Thread", "Prev", and "Prev Thread" would have their
behavior modified by the four checkbox states.  "Unread" would be
checked by default the first time you use Pan.  Pan would remember
your checkbox settings in subsequent sessions.

The disadvantages:

  D1. Add a keystroke each time you change modes.
  D2. Have to remember what mode you're in. (statusbar mode icons?)
  D3. My fingers have the old accels memorized. ;)

The advantages:

  A1. Lots of new, useful navigation combos...
  A2. ... all of which work with keyboard navigation ...
  A3. ... in just eight keys to learn and no ctrl- or ctrl-shift- ...
  A4. ... and less reaching for the mouse to change filters.
  A5. Usage should be clear even to beginners.

(The original proposal didn't have "Next Thread" and "Prev Thread"
commands but rather a "[x] .... to Thread (t)" checkbox.  That was
too many mode changes for me in a typical session.)

My opinion: D1 bothers me some, but A2-4 get better each time
I think about them.

cheers,
Charles