pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.106 "Umi De No Jisatsu"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.106 "Umi De No Jisatsu"
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:48:14 +0000 (UTC)

"Steve Davies" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:47:32 +0100:

> On 8/10/06, Kelly Martin
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've been compiling every release for the past month or so. Using 0.107
>> now. Two tiny requests (the first might be considered a bug) :
>>
>> (1) When I save attachments, there isn't a "saved" icon anymore... this
>> existed in the old Pan, and without that icon it's very difficult to
>> know which attachments have been saved and which haven't.
>
> I will add a vote for this. In fact, I will add:
>
> (1b) In old pan, I seem to remember that clicking an article or binary
> thing that pan thought was "current" but the server then reported as
> "expired" would cause it to change to a red "X" icon. I have not seen this
> in new pan, which just fails to display the article.

I haven't tried new-pan with binaries yet (maybe this weekend), but if
this (both) isn't working yet, it'll be on my list too.  I think there's a
bug filed on at least the save icon thing, as it has already been
requested, but I'm too lazy to check ATM.

>> (2) ability for Pan to remember my save directory, for attachments... so
>> it doesn't prompt me each time. The old Pan also did this. :) Maybe
>> there could be a toggle somewhere in the config for prompt/don't prompt?
>
> I seem to have made my version of pan do this, but I cannot remember how
> :) Was it an option somewhere on the save dialog?

As I said, no binaries yet so I'm not positive it's working, but group
preferences (right click on a group or select the entry from the edit
menu).  It may still prompt, again not sure, but it /should/ at least
remember the default you've set for the group.

> (3) Is there a way to pre-cache articles and files. I would like to
> multi-select a block of articles that I want to download for later
> reading/saving, and then right-click and download - I think this was also
> possible in "old-pan"

It was in old-pan, and I /think/ it's now in new-pan, a relatively new
addition.  If I'm not mistaken, that's what actions > articles > download
selected article (as opposed to read or save) is supposed to do.

Note that you can change pan's associated keyboard accels for any action,
including the above, if you don't like pan's default accel scheme.  I've
already added "r" to toggle the unread messages only filter on and off,
here.  However, unlike with old-pan, editing them doesn't seem to work
from the gui.  You must edit the $PAN_HOME/accels.txt ($PAN_HOME defaults
to ~/.pan2 if the var isn't set) file manually.  ";" is the comment char,
with all the default entries commented in the dump.  Note that pan will
re-dump this file, in its own order, at every close, so I recommend either
using your text editor's find functionality if you've only a change or two
to make, or copying the file off elsewhere for actual editing if you
intend to add your own comments and/or reorder it, then copying it back
every time you make changes.  Well, anyway, the latter means you have two
copies of the file, better if anything happens to corrupt one of them, I
guess.  =8^)

Don't know about you, but I had "download" set with a custom accel in
old-pan, and will again with new-pan, as about the first thing I do
when I decide to try binaries again, given it's lacking a default accel on
that function.  =8^(  Thank Charles we have custom accels back! =8^)