pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: what is the difference between delete article and ma

From: Eric Waguespack
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: what is the difference between delete article and mark as "read"?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:22:27 -0500

Thanks.

On 8/19/06, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
"Eric Waguespack" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:42:16 -0500:

> also is there any documentation for the beta version (pan2) I can't seem
> to find any.also is there any documentation for the beta version (pan2)
> I can't seem to find any.<br><br>

First, please turn off HTML posting when posting to this list.  You may be
looking at the list using your browser as it appears you use gmail, but
that doesn't mean everybody does, and many use clients that don't process
html for security reasons (spam and malware posters love HTML, due to the
tricks it makes available), making posts look ugly (like the repeated
message and web tags above).

The goal is that usage will be self-evident, no documentation needed, with
short popup style documentation in-app where necessary. That isn't always
quite the case, however.

As for delete vs. mark-read, the difference /should/ be self-evident, but
you are asking the question, so obviously it's not.  Delete does just
that... deletes the post listing from the newsgroup.  To access it again,
you'd have to redownload headers.  Mark-read does just that... marks the
post read, but it remains in the list until the set expiration time.
(However, if you have the match only unread articles filter turned on, you
won't see it after you update the group, as it is marked read, but it'll
still be there to be referenced again if you toggle the filter off so it
displays all posts once again.)

You may want to keep read posts around, particularly in text/discussion
groups, so you can backup and read the parent of a reply again, if the
reply doesn't quote enough context to be clear.  However, in other cases,
binary groups in particular, there's often little use for a post once you
are done viewing it or saving any attachments, so delete makes sense there.